Saturday, April 18, 2015

One Month Favorites

This post is mostly for future reference but some of my expecting friends may like some ideas too...who knows?! 

Here is a list of things that we loved having and/or could not live without this first month. I'm not including necessities like diapers, wipes, car seat, etc. :)

Month One Favorites:
Lanolin and Nursing Pads
Obviously this one is for me. I am exclusively nursing right now so I don't have any advice on bottles yet, however, I literally could not live without tubes and TUBES of lanolin and nursing pads. :) Too much information? You'll thank me if your about to start nursing! (Trust me, tubes and tubes!) Brandon already knows where to find these things in the store without me. :)

Boppy Pillow
The boppy. Some mom's love them, some moms don't. I love it. This pillow helps me support Blake while I'm nursing and Brandon loves using it for added support when he's holding him. 

1. Hats. We need to keep our little man warm and so we have lots of fun hats for him. Right now, his newborn ones fit the best.
2. Plain Onesies (for under clothes). We go through lots of onesies, sometimes more than 1-2 a day! Because the weather is warm and cold right now depending on the hour, we rotate between long and short sleeve onesies. 
3. A good diaper rash cream. Our favorite right now is Arbonne's diaper rash cream. Blake used Huggies newborn diapers but is now in Pampers and when we switched he got a little rash, poor guy. It's all better now though!
4. Aden and Anais burpy bibs. Seriously, these are my favorite! Luckily we got a ton of them as gifts. They are the best burp cloths (I love them even more than the cloth diaper 'burp clothes' that I have as well) and I love that I can snap them around his neck like a bib!
5. Boppy changing pads. This is not the whole changing pad cover but the little pad that sits on top. I bought a pack of these thinking they might be nice to have and I'm so glad I did. Most of the time these little guys catch the poo and pee when mom and dad aren't ready! They are a little chintzy, but they do the trick and save you from washing your changing pad cover all of the time.

Food(!) and Water
Nursing has made me incredibly hungry (It's way worse than pregnancy) and thirsty all the time. I would suggest a ginormous water bottle and bowl of candy nearby for nourishment, ha ha!

Changing Table
Many people don't use changing tables anymore, but for us this is a must-have. Blake's nursery is upstairs and we don't use it yet so this is grand central station in our house (even though it's not the most attractive area!). We change him and keep all of his clothes, diapers, and bath supplies here. Also note the hamper, definite must-have!

Bassinet
Again, because Blake's nursery is upstairs, he sleeps in the living room. We splurged on the 4moms Breeze playard and we love it. The bassinet is his crib for now and I know we will love having this for the cottage this summer. It is literally a 'breeze' to set up! :)

Rockaroo 
We also love the 4moms Rockaroo! First of all it's size is perfect for our house. Standard swings are way too big for our living room. Blake loves to rock and often naps here during the day.

Pacifier
We didn't use a pacifier for about a week and then the pediatrician suggested one and we haven't looked back. He does not seem to have latch confusion so the pacifier has been our best friend at times. When he just wants to suck but not nurse, we pop in the paci! Mam has been the only brand we've used so far and he likes it.

Activity Playmat
He loves looking at all of the toys on this when he is awake. Look at this cute face!

Sound Spa
We have this one by the bassinet and a 'stuffed animal' one upstairs. I swear the heartbeat sound helps him sleep.

I don't have a picture, but we also use Velcro swaddles for bedtime. He hates being put in them but it does help him sleep. We've used sleep sacks as well but sometimes his startle reflex wakes him up so we're sticking to the swaddles as long as we can.

And last but not least...
Baby Book
(Sorry for the sideways picture) There are so many precious moments to record in these first few weeks and having a book where you can keep it all together is wonderful.

What else have my mom friends loved having the first month?



No comments: