Thursday, May 17, 2012

House Shopping

Last Saturday Brandon and I looked at five homes with our realtor Steve.  I did not have super high expectations because I knew they would let me down!  In our price range we will not have a picture perfect house. :)  But, we will hopefully find a home we can fall in love with.  The most important thing I learned from our experience Saturday was that pictures do NOT show the details!!!!  I'll post some pictures below......but keep in mind that they may look awesome but you have to be standing on the uneven floor looking at the cracks in the wall to understand why we may not have fallen in love.  Haha!  So far, only one house is in the running.  We are going to keep looking with our realtor.  This coming Saturday we are looking at a house that we are really excited about!  So, here are some pictures from the day.  They are in order from house to house but I didn't really take any pictures of the outside of the homes to separate them.  And, I didn't take any pictures of the first house.  Sorry!

Kitchen in house #2  -  Cute, but tiny...no dishwasher...mega bummer



Apartment size oven and range...our realtor measured and we would have to take out both cupboards to fit a regular 30" oven and range.  Also, a bummer.

LOVED this living room!!!  Especially that mantel!
The dog chewed a lot of wood in this house...
Master Bedroom
I thought this was just AWFUL, but the boys told me it's an easy fix :)
I thought the door on the right would be a closet, but to my surprise.....
It was the world's tiniest bathroom!!!  Hahaha!
So, needless to say, we liked this house but ultimately it was cut from our list.  The basement was, in my words, "creepy" and the kitchen lacked space and "proper" appliances.  I wish I had taken a picture of the outside, it was really cute! :)

House #3 - The floors were SO uneven!
Dining Room/Kitchen - As Brandon said, if you put a marble at the front of the house, it would roll to the back.  The kitchen shows very well in pictures, but was very old and not well kept.  The right side of the microwave cubby was about an inch below the counter top. Yikes!  

The bathroom was SO cute!

So, that house was pretty much immediately out after walking the main level.  It showed so well in pictures, but was disappointing in real life.  It didn't help that it was right next to a cemetery!

House #4 - Over 100 years old...seriously!  The kitchen was wonderful!  That cat on the left was so friendly!  She followed us all over the house! :)
I was in LOVE with this old house until we discovered....

It had been on FIRE and there were NO new supporting beams!  Our realtor said he would not let us buy this house!
And so we moved on to the last house...which is our only contender so far.  It has been totally redone on the inside but is in need of some TLC on the outside:

This home (House #5) is stucco.  I did some research, not sure if that is the best choice of siding for our weather!
The lovely living room with original hardwood floors  The large protruding brick thing (used to have a wood stove on it) would have to go!
Master Bedroom :)
The bathroom.  Lovely, but lack of storage may be an issue.
Hallway/Dining room - And saving the best for last.......
The SUPER DUPER AWESOME kitchen!!!!!!  LOVE IT!  Brand new appliances are sure a plus! :)

This house was pretty awesome, but we weren't sure how it would re-sell because it only has 2 bedrooms, no basement, and the stucco siding.  The kitchen definitely got my vote, but we will still be looking.  The hunt is on!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I agree.... that kitchen DOES look awesome!!!